5460 - GM Belt Tension Compressor Tool
Original price $89.95 - Original price $89.95
$89.95 - $89.95
Current price $89.95
Orders placed before 12:00pm EST Mon-Fri ship same day. Orders placed after 12:00pm EST ship next business day.
- Compresses belt tensioner spring when replacing the engine drive belt and alternator
- Services GM 2.4L EcoTec (Hybrid) 2011-2016; Buick Regal, LaCrosse, Chevrolet Malibu, Impala & Captiva
- Compare to GM factory tool EN-48932
- Locate and identify the belt tensioner pulley. It will have a spring-loaded arm that keeps tension on the serpentine belt.
- Position the 5460 tool against the tensioner pulley arm. The curved end should fit into the recess on the tensioner arm.
- Turn the handle on the tool clockwise. This will compress the spring and relieve tension on the belt.
- With tension relieved, slip the serpentine belt off of the pulleys.
- If replacing the alternator, remove the mounting bolts and electrical connections. Transfer any necessary components over to the new alternator.
- Install the new alternator and secure with mounting bolts. Reconnect electrical connectors.
- Loop the new serpentine belt over all pulleys except the tensioner pulley.
- Release the tension on the 5460 tool slowly to allow the tensioner pulley to re-tension the belt.
- Remove the 5460 tool.
- Check that the belt routing matches the diagram on the fan shroud or engine cover.
- Start engine and check that the belt is centered on all pulleys. Adjust as needed.