5405 - Dipstick Tube Extractor - Ford 4.6L, 5.4L, 6.2L & 6.8L
Original price $39.95 - Original price $39.95
$39.95 - $39.95
Current price $39.95
Orders placed before 12:00pm EST Mon-Fri ship same day. Orders placed after 12:00pm EST ship next business day.
- Extracts broken dipstick tubes, a common issue on Ford 4.6L, 5.4L, 6.2L & 6.8L Engines during engine service
- When the dipstick tube breaks off, a piece remians at entry point, located at the bottom of the engine block (near the oil pan)
- Use the extractor to thread into tube to remove
- Use with #5401 Thread Adapter Tool and any standard thread (5/8"-18 TPI) slide hammer to properly remove the stuck dipstick tube
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Allow access to the broken dipstick tube at the base of the engine block.
- Clean the area around the broken tube thoroughly. Use brake cleaner or solvent on a rag to remove all dirt, oil residue and debris.
- Spray penetrating oil liberally into the open end of the broken tube. Allow time for the oil to penetrate down the tube.
- Thread the extractor down into the broken tube by hand initially. If needed, use a wrench to carefully thread the extractor further into the tube. Do not overtighten.
- Once the extractor is threaded securely into the tube, attach a pry bar or pliers onto the extractor base. Use the pry bar or pliers for leverage to loosen and pry the broken tube up and out.
- For stubborn tubes, attach the CTA 5401 adapter to use with a slide hammer. Use the slide hammer to apply pulling force while turning the extractor to unthread the broken tube.
- Once the broken tube is removed, clean the dipstick tube hole in the engine block thoroughly.
- Install a new replacement tube per manufacturer instructions. Refill engine oil.